Whether you prefer a super sleek look, subtle waves or dramatic curls, styling tools make all the difference. We've already shared our beauty tips for finding the best hair straightener and now it is the turn of the curlers. With brands like Beauty Works, BaByliss and T3, achieving salon-perfect waves and curls is incredibly easy with our pick of the best curling wands and curling tongs around.
The best curling wands & curling tongs
- Electric Head Jog Gold 32mm Titanium Waving Iron
- BaByliss Rose Blush Curling Wand
- Beauty Works Professional Styler
- Beauty Works Professional Styler Trio Edition
- Beauty Works X Molly Mae Curl Kit
- BaByliss Tight Curls Wand
- BaByliss PRO Ceramic Dial-a-Heat Tong
- BaByliss PRO Perfect Curl MKII
- T3 Volumizing 1.5 Inch Hot Rollers Luxe
- BaByliss Volume Waves Tong
Which curling wand or curling tong do you need?
There are so many different tools on the market to help you get gorgeous curls. Curling wands and curling tongs are the simplest, quickest and easiest tools to get gorgeous curls in mere minutes.
Even with curling wands there are a lot of different choices to pick from; different shapes and sizes give very different results. If you're new to the world of styling wands, then there are 2 considerations you should consider first of all:
The Shape of the Barrel
Not all curling tongs are created equal. Different shaped barrels will each give a very different look to your curls.
- Straight. This is the classic barrel shape and it gives a very classic curl that is even in shape and size from root to tip.
- Tapered. A tapered wand will give a tighter curl close to the roots and looser at the ends, resulting in a very natural look.
- Bubble. With bobbles or bubbles down the wand, these always look odd but the result is very relaxed, bohemian waves with some variation and texture to them.
The Size of the Barrel
Don't get scared by all the numbers on curl wands; the barrel size is usually in millimeters and then
- 6mm- 20mm. These smaller, slimmer wands are sometimes known as chopstick curlers and give you super tight curls. They have been becoming more and more popular.
- 20-32 mm. This is the size that gives the most standard, classic curl, great for a truly curly look or brushing out into a softer curl.
- 32mm+. Big barrels will give a wide, soft curl that looks sophisticated and slightly retro, perfect for brushing out into a classic, shiny wave.
Curling tong or curling wand?
You'll see curlers called everything from a wand, to an iron, a wand or a styler. Technically, a wand has no clamp, whilst an iron or tong has a clamp, however, both versions work in the same way; you wrap your hair around them in order to curl them. We're talking about both of them here today.
Whether you use a wand or a tong is totally up to you; with a clamp, it can be easier to hold hair onto the heat to get an even heat distribution, but without can be easier and faster to curl your hair.
Once you've made up your mind what look you want for your wand, then it is the perfect time to get shopping.